Tips for packing a moving truck like a pro
Packing Tips - December 1, 2018
Moving can cause a lot of stress if you don’t do it right. Whatever you do, hiring professional movers or DIY move, you need to make a plan. Planning and preparation is the work half done. If you are thinking about a DIY move, you will have to think and plan twice as hard – but is possible. Moving by yourself means packing and loading the truck, too. Even though it seems simple, packing a moving truck should be done carefully and precisely. The reason is to have all your items moved without any loss or damage, and also maximize the space inside the truck and pack more items. If you want to be packing a moving truck like a pro – we have a guide for you. However, if you are not sure how to do it, choose reliable moving services Chicago and move without stress.
Before packing a moving truck…pack the items first
Packing your items correctly leads you to a smooth truck loading and relocation. To do that be sure to follow the tips below:
- use the proper boxes – moving boxes need to be in a size that matches your items, and they also need to be in good condition. Check if the bottoms of the boxes are not damaged or wet, so your items are safe inside.
- there shouldn’t be empty space in boxes – if there is some free space in a box, fill it with cloth or paper to avoid damage of your items if the boxes start tumbling.
- wrap – any fragile items should be wrapped in bubble wrap or some clothes/towels.
- tape – have enough tape to secure all the boxes well.
- label – to make both the packing and unpacking process easier, be sure to label the boxes. Write what is inside and which room it belongs to.
- heavier items should go on the bottom of the boxes, and lighter items on top.
Rental truck tips
When renting a moving truck, there are some things to consider. First of all, the size is very important. You should know how many boxes you have and how big they are. Next, get the size information from the truck rental company. Good local movers Chicago should give you information on their trucks loading capability and advise you which one you should take. Next, for renting a moving truck, you don’t need any special license, but a standard driver’s license.
Also, remember to check if the truck comes with a loading dock – it makes it easier to pack heavy items. Finally, ask your friends and family for a recommendation – they probably have some tips and advice, too. If you are not sure about a company, check the Better Bussines Bureau.
Have enough packing supplies
Having the right tools and enough supplies makes any move much easier. Also, you will winish the job much faster, too. The things you will need for successful packing are:
- boxes in good condition – sturdy boxes are a must when packing a moving truck.
- plastic wrap/towels/sheets – you will need these to wrap all the fragile items, but also fill out any empty space in boxes to prevent damage.
- tape – all the boxes need to be taped several times for safety.
- a dolly – it will help you load heavy and bulky items onto the moving truck.
- furniture pads/blankets – these will prevent your items from moving and damaging during the drive.
However, a professional moving company can provide you with all the necessary packing supplies Chicago.
Prepare the furniture
In order to relocate it easily, it is the best to disassemble your furniture items. This way, furniture parts will be less bulky and therefore easier to pack and move.
Load the heaviest items first
Even though this advice may seem unnecessary – we need to write it down. Heavier boxes and items should be loaded first. Heavy items include washing and drying machines, tables, chairs, beds, mattresses, couches, etc. We recommend securing these items with moving straps to avoid moving during the drive.
Of course, this means that lighter items should be loaded last, and put on top. You should be extra careful with fragile items like mirrors, paintings, jewelry. However, expensive or important items or documents should be with you all the time. Also, keep a bag with items you will need first when you arrive at your new home. You can keep it with yourself or put it last in the truck, so you can take it any time you need it.
Specific items tips
- When packing rugs, be sure to roll them tightly and secure them with a tape. This way you will prevent them from becoming all crumpled and dusty, too.
- Drawers can be secured with a tape, too. But be sure to put them in the truck facing the wall, so they can’t open during the drive.
- If you have an aquarium – you need to be extra careful. after you empty it, put some pads in and out to protect the glass. Also, be sure to put it on top of other boxes.
- clothes – clothes can be packed in several ways – read how to pack clothes for moving.
Haven’t changed your mind?
If you still want to move your items by yourself, we support you. Just be sure that the truck you will rent is appropriate both for your needs and your budget. Also, think about the insurance, and be sure to take reliable moving trucks.
Want help from professionals?
The easier and safer way is letting professional local movers Chicago help you. They will provide you with all the necessary supplies, load and relocate your items safely. Even though this seems like a more expensive option, taking a risk can cost you even more. Furthermore, you can deduct your moving costs and don’t pay that much in the end.