How to avoid property damage when moving out?
How To - December 9, 2018
Moving is mostly an exciting experience. We usually feel nervous and happy about our new home, and we do everything we can to move as fast as possible. During that process, we often rush and neglect our old home. This is usually the time when a lot of damage happens, so you need to be extra careful. That’s because you need to leave the place in good condition. Any damage can bring you unexpected costs so you need to be very careful. Also, if a property is damaged in any way, it can lower the price if it is for sale. So, it is important to protect the place you are moving out from. If you are not sure how to do it – no worries! We bring you the ways to avoid property damage when moving out.
Hire professionals to avoid property damage when moving out
The safest option when it comes to moving is definitely getting help from a trustworthy moving company. The experienced movers know about potential risks when they see your home and your items and they will give you the best advice and tips on how to protect your home. A reputable moving company will provide residential moving services Chicago without any risks of damage and save you from stress. However, if you want to do most of the moving process by yourself, then keep on reading.
Have the right floor protection supplies
To keep your property safe while moving out is not just about being careful when carrying things. There are other ways to avoid property damage when moving out, and the first step is having the right protection tools. Here’s what you need to keep your home safe:
- Moving blankets – use these to protect the floors while moving heavy furniture around the house. Also, if your home has floors that are not as smooth, blankets will make moving the furniture way easier. Use them to slide the furniture out of a room.
- Plastic sheets – these are especially useful if the floor in your home is covered with carpets. Even though durable, it can be damaged if a heavy object is moved across it. That’s why investing in plastic sheeting is a great idea.
- Cardboard boxes – flattened boxes can be a great protection under heavy objects. Use the moving boxes you have let, or if any of those are damaged. Don’t know where to find moving boxes? Check out our packing supplies Chicago.
Protect the walls, too!
You can protect your walls from being scratched by taping some blankets or cardboard on it. Check what walls are the riskiest while moving the items out, and protect them with corner guards as well.
Pack your items safely to avoid property damage when moving out
The first step to protecting your home is smart packing. First of all, if you are not sure you can do it, hire a reliable moving company. Wolley Movers Chicago will provide excellent packing services with zero damage or stress. Our experienced team will use the professional tools and supplies to pack your items as safely as possible. However, there is always the option of DIY-ing the whole thing. In this situation, be sure to pack your items smartly. And that means the following:
- use sturdy boxes – find boxes that are in good condition to avoid any possible accidents. Always check if the bottom of a box is wet, or damaged in any way.
- don’t overpack the boxes – boxes that are way too heavy to carry can cause problems during transport. Always mix heavy and light objects when packing. Put heavy ones on the bottom, and lighter items on the top of a box.
- disassemble furniture – to avoid property damage when moving out, it is the best to pack your furniture disassembled, if possible. This way, you can wrap any sharp parts separately and relocate it much more safely.
- close the boxes securely – use a lot of tape to make sure your boxes are closed and safe to carry.
Use these items to help you move
When moving heavy boxes, these items will help you a lot. Be sure to get:
- straps – lifting straps will come in handy when lifting heavy boxes or furniture.
- furniture pads – if you have smooth floors, furniture pads will help with sliding your furniture pieces without scratching.
- a dolly – probably the most useful item when moving. Heavy items will not scratch your walls or be accidentally dropped and damaged.
Plan ahead and prepare the house for moving
While you are packing, think about the items that can possibly damage the walls,doors or floors. Select the risky items and then check if they can go through all the doors safely. Measure the doors and keep the measurements on your mind when moving the items. Use door protection like door frame guards to prevent any damage. Also, be sure to clear the path – prepare the house for the moving. Remove any items that are lying on the floor, or blocking the way somehow.
Don’t rush and ask for help
Moving in a hurry increases your chances of breaking something around the house. So be sure to do everything slowly and carefully and avoid property damage when moving out. Also, more people make any work easier. Ask your friends and family to help you with carrying the boxes and packing. Never try lifting very heavy items by yourself, since it can lead to dropping them and damaging your home. Furthermore, it is very dangerous for your health as well.
Finally, after you take out all your boxes, it is important to clean the house well. Sometimes it can get very dirty when boxes are moved out, so even though you cleaned it before, you may have to do it again.