How much does it cost to move in Chicago
Chicago - October 29, 2018
If you are thinking about relocation to the Windy City, the first thing that comes to your mind are probably the costs. It is true that sometimes the financial aspect of the move can give you more headache than the actual moving process. The reason for that is being unprepared and not having all the possible costs in mind. Additional and unexpected costs can cause you even more trouble. That’s why we prepared this guide on Chicago movers cost, so you can be totally prepared for your residential move.
Think about the time
Doing everything on time is the key to success in this situation. If you start looking for a moving company and calculating Chicago movers cost, you will probably pay less. The reason is that some Chicago moving companies raise their rates as you book closer to the actual moving date. So, take your time to browse moving companies and choose one the suits you the best, so you can book them in advance and have time to organize the move.
Think about the weather, too
Weather can play an important part when calculating Chicago movers cost. This means that there are popular moving season months – especially spring and autumn months, which bring higher prices, too. So think carefully and avoid the popular moving months ( April, May, September, October) so you can book movers on lower rates. However, you should be aware that winter months bring a lot of snow and very low temperatures.
What are the actual Chicago movers cost items?
Before calculating the Chicago movers cost, you need to know what are the items included in the price, and what items can change the cost significantly. This way you will so what you can cut on, and reduce the costs.
- How many movers? Even though more movers will finish the job more quickly, each of them needs to be paid.
- How far do you go? Depending on the mileage, your costs can be significantly different. This also depends on whether you are moving locally in Chicago, or you are arriving there from another city or state.
- How heavy are your items? Chicago movers cost mostly depends on the weight of the items being moved. That’s why you can consider selling/recycling some heavy items and buying new ones after you arrive in Chicago. This way you can reduce the moving costs, and get some new household items.
- Special requirements – any additional services or specialty items bring extra costs, too. So be aware of that if you are planning to move items like pianos, pool tables, etc. Items like these require extra care and more helping hands.
Extra information on Chicago movers cost
Here are some more things you should know when moving to Chicago:
- Talking about moving rates, In Chicago, they are usually calculated by the hour. So the more items you have, the more time it will take for them to be moved, which means – more money.
- According to some reports, Chicago is the 12th most expensive city for rents. However, it is not as expensive as some other big cities in the country. You should know that the median rental price for a one-bedroom apartment is around 1600$, but that depends on the are of Chicago. Further you go from the center of the city, you can find some cheaper places for as little as 700$.
- When planning your move, you should consider rush hours in Chicago. The busiest time in this city is in the morning and in the evening when people go and come back from work. Streets can be pretty busy so your moving trucks might me slowed down.
- If you don’t have your own parking spot or a free parking lot in front of your new home, you need to provide a parking spot for the moving truck. You need to get the parking permit for any truck larger than 16 feet, and it will cost you around 20-25$ for a day. You should do that in advance, too, so you don’t waste time the moment you start moving.
Where you can save and where you can splurge?
If you have some art pieces, pool tables, pianos, etc. maybe it is better to pay movers to relocate those items for you. They are more experienced in moving and packing specialty items, so you have less risk to damage. For example, to move a piano, you need tools and supplies, and you need to do it very carefully in order not to break it. Furthermore, they are really heavy so you can’t do it by yourself. That’s why you should think about piano moving services when hiring your movers.
With every move, you have a chance to get rid of the items you no longer need. Over the years, many things pile up in your home, and somehow you don’t throw them away. Moving is the perfect opportunity to sort your things out and see if there are items you no longer need. This way, you will make more space in your new home and most importantly, save on the moving costs.
This is the one thing you definitely shouldn’t splurge on. There are many ways to get packing supplies. You can save the boxes in advance, ask your friends and family to give you if they have some or ask for free boxes at a local furniture store, or search for them online, for example. However, when we talk about some serious packing, with sensitive or expensive items, should get proper packing tools and supplies.
It is true that you can ask your friends and family to help you out. However, sometimes they are busy, or simply you don’t have enough people to help you. Maybe you shouldn’t do everything by yourself. Save on some other things, but spend on movers to conduct your relocation professionally.
After all these tips on how to calculate Chicago moving cost, we hope you will enjoy your life in the Windy City.